A series of high-profile sports scandals have forced the public to learn the word “meldonium” and to pay the closest attention to the drug. For a long time, the drug has been one of the most discussed drugs in professional sports and has been the subject of much debate. Even without fully studying the effects of meldonium, international experts concluded that the drug artificially improves the performance of athletes. This led to the inclusion of the substance in the list of doping drugs prohibited for use by professional athletes.
The trade name of the substance is mildronate. It was discovered in the Soviet Union in the mid-seventies by Professor Ivars Kalvinsh. While working on his dissertation, he was first able to synthesize meldronium. The scientist was looking for a substance in the body, the capacity of which decreases with constant overload. This is how gamma-butyrobetaine was found. During its conversion for convenient storage and use, meldonium was obtained.
The original scope of the invention was the army. Soldiers needed a stimulant that could increase their nervous and physical stamina during military operations. After a while, researchers found that the drug had a beneficial effect on the development of plants and animals. Only almost ten years later, after clinical studies, when mildronate was already patented in the United States, it was already used in medicine.
What is useful for the product
Since mildronate is a drug and is sold through the pharmacy network, it carries a large number of useful functions. The positive effects of its intake are manifested in the following:
- Protects the heart muscle from increased physical stress and nervous overexcitation.
- It is useful during the rehabilitation period after surgery.
- Increases the stamina of the body. Tissue immunity increases, which helps to resist the occurrence of bronchitis or asthma.
- The high efficiency of mildronate is established in coronary diseases: its action slows down cell death and accelerates the regeneration process.
- The action of mildronate on the body improves the delivery of oxygen to the cells and tissues, including the protection of the heart cells from dying while working at a high heart rate. internal organs are cleared of toxins and metabolic products, preserved from premature destruction.
- The medicine improves blood circulation in the retina and is used to normalize the blood supply to the brain.
In professional sports, the use of mildronate is prohibited. But amateur athletes, as well as healthy people who need additional help to alleviate physical exertion, may well take advantage of the positive therapeutic properties of the substance. It brings several positive results:
- The dynamic activity of athletes during training and performance increases.
- The deficit of energy lost during physical activity recovers much faster after starting to take meldonium regularly than under normal conditions. At the same time, the body releases metabolic waste products more intensively.
- With each new workout, the body’s capabilities will increase even more.
- By increasing the permeability of the nerve tissue during speed competitions, you can earn an advantage of a few moments when making a shot or throwing.
When adding the drug to the list of banned drugs, officials were guided by these considerations. It is known that many athletes have been systematically taking mildronate for many years. This subjectively gives reason to believe that they felt a certain positive effect from taking the drug.
The harms of mildronate
Due to the constant mention of the drug in the media, it has become very popular among many people. But, few people think about the harm this drug can cause.
Doctor of Medicine, Professor Sergei Tereschenko believes that a healthy person, not an athlete, to artificially interfere with the normal operation of the heart, to violate the rhythm established by nature, is categorically contraindicated. Constant overloading can weaken any organ, including the heart muscle.
Doctor of Medicine, Professor Alexei Gorbunov, and his students scientifically proved the negative impact of meldonium on the body of a healthy person. The fact is that mildronate reduces the synthesis of carnitine and thus disrupts the body’s proper energy metabolism.
Based on protocols from the Institute of Biochemistry in Cologne, Prof. Jean-Peter de Mondenard from France made his study of the effects of mildronate on the human body. He concluded that the use of Mildronate leads to a huge increase of oxygen circulation in the blood, which for a sick person is a relief but for a healthy person is a detriment.
Mildronate is addictive. Taking the drug leads to drowsiness, apathy, and loss of strength.
Mildronate has a variety of effects on the human body, especially on cardiovascular health and increased endurance. However, as with many other drugs, there are also several side effects. For example, mildronate can cause heart rhythm abnormalities, severe skin rashes, and various allergic reactions. In addition, since the drug is not readily available on the market in many countries, it cannot be easily tested for long-term side effects. The drug is currently legally available in Russia and several neighboring countries but is banned in most Western countries because it can lead to positive doping tests.